The full report of Woking Borough Council’s carbon footprint assessment is now available to read.
In July 2019, we declared a climate emergency and pledged to become a net zero organisation by 2030. As part of this pledge, a robust carbon footprint assessment was undertaken to better understand our current footprint and the measures needed to reach this target.
The assessment was undertaken in 2022 by consultancy firm Anthesis. This new analysis builds on our annual Greenhouse Gas Emissions report which details the carbon production across key operational buildings and business car mileage. Anthesis’s full report provides a number of outputs, including:
- A robust carbon footprint assessment, highlighting key areas of action.
- A reporting tool and methodology that can be used again to measure our progress.
- Trajectories for future emissions and interim targets for carbon reduction between now and 2030.
- Advice on the most effective measures both in carbon reduction and value for money.
- Financial modelling of the actions needed to reach net zero by 2030.
The report recommends a ‘high ambition’ approach to reducing our carbon emissions in order to minimise any residual emissions in 2030 and receive the best value for money for our investment.