Climate change is a global issue but one that can be tackled locally. Planet Woking was launched in September 2020 to raise awareness of local action being taken by the Council and its partners to meet our carbon neutral goals; but also to inspire and encourage you – the local community – to join us and continue to play your part in looking after our environment.
There are ways that your local business can get involved too. Here are some tips on how you can lighten your environmental impact:
- Simple energy and water efficiency measures can help save resources and reduce carbon emissions; they can save money too. The Energy Saving Trust has a range of online resources and advice for businesses looking to improve their environmental credentials.
- Your business may be eligible for a grant, loan or subsidised energy saving measures. The government offers a range of support for small businesses to cover energy efficiency, waste reduction and more. Find out more on the Ofgem and Department for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) websites.
- Low carbon across the South and East (LoCASE) offers small and medium-sized businesses grants from £1,000 and up to £10,000 for energy efficiency measures or business development for companies providing green services. Find out more here.
- The Carbon Trust has a catalogue of practical tools for businesses on a range of topics including pathways to net zero for SMEs; energy saving tool for SMEs; and office energy efficiency guides.
- Encourage your staff to travel sustainably to and for work. Staff Travel Plans are a great way to bring together advice on how your company will help its staff choose greener transport options. This could include a cycle to work scheme; season ticket loans to encourage use of public transport; and access to lockers and shower facilities for those cycling or running. As well as reducing transport emissions; enabling active travel keeps your staff fit and healthy.
- If your staff need to drive to work; they might opt for an electric vehicle (EV). Planet Woking has produced some handy FAQs to help those considering an EV purchase. Electric vehicle charging points are available in the Council’s Town Centre car parks – including 70 brand new bays at Victoria Place. You might like to consider installing a chargepoint at your workplace. Guidance on the government’s workplace charging scheme is available here.
- This fleet upgrade tool from The Carbon Trust could help your business identify ways to reduce fleet emissions.
- Keep waste to a minimum by doing everything you can to prevent, reuse, recycle or recover waste. Find out more at WRAP – Circular Economy & Resource Efficiency Experts
- Boost your company’s corporate social responsibility and support your local community with a staff volunteering day. Find out more about how you could combine this with local conservation activities here.
- Woking Chamber of Commerce and Woking Works are on hand to support and connect the local business community.
If you’re a local business doing your bit for Planet Woking, drop us a line at email@example.com to share your environmental initiatives.